Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Importation Process

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Importation Process on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Arresto Menor
Hi Sir, I am very new to Importation and i am now trying to engage in Coffee importation business. The coffee will be coming from Indonesia. If our plan goes well, I will order coffee from this supplier and offer it here. The company told me that they will send me samples for free including freight cost, but when we reach an agreement I will have to shoulder the freight cost of the coffee orders. How will I go about this? does this mean I have to pay, for example Fedex to pick up the coffee in Manila customs?so Fedex has to know when the coffee will arrive in manila? pls advise on this process. Salamat po

View user profile

2 Re: Importation Process on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Arresto Mayor
Im not a Lawyer.... I used to send boxes of food to a family in Philippines,,, I was told its ILLEGAL to send coffee there because coffee is grown in the Philippines and this could harm their coffee farming...

View user profile

3 Re: Importation Process on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:16 pm

there are surely permits required from the department of agriculture. secure them first

[i] Visit our FB Page: BPO Employee Legal Advice
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

4 Re: Importation Process on Sun May 13, 2012 7:36 am

Reclusion Perpetua

atty LLL is correct. there has to be a plant quarantine permit from the government (presumably from one of the agencies under the Department of Agriculture.)

in practice, sending of packages through freight forwarders are subject to minimal supervisions by customs and other government agencies (especially balikbayan boxes). if it goes undetected (as is the usual case), you may receive your coffee orders even without securing the plant quarantine permits and customs permit (import/export declaration entry).

BUT my advice is you should go through the legal and normal process. although it may take longer due to bureaucratic red tape, it always pay to be a law-abiding citizen. always secure government permits to avoid legal problems and criminal prosecution later. there is always a grain of truth to the old but ever enduring saying "there will always be a first time"

as to the freight cost that you were saying, be wary of marketing strategies employed by sales companies. sales companies will always concoct various marketing strategies to attract more customers and to compete with the dog-eats-dog race. in the future, always be guided by the principle that you should always reduce all agreements in writing. execute written agreements or contracts before closing a deal. hence, if during the negotiation it was agreed that it was free of freight but the said agreement was never reduced in writing, you may have a hard time enforcing the verbal agreement relative to the free freight.

better still, refer your case to a real lawyer (preferrably a lawyer who has an expertise in customs and brokerage law) and in personal.

View user profile

5 Re: Importation Process on Sun May 13, 2012 7:47 am

Reclusion Perpetua
almonado is correct. better ask the department of agriculture first as to the legality of importing coffee seedlings from abroad.

what i only know is if you export coffee, it is not prohibited by law. but you have to secure clearance from INTERNATIONAL COFFEE ORGANIZATION CERTIFYING AGENCY (ICO-CA)before you can export. as to the importation permit, perhaps it would ALSO be wise to inquire with ICO-CA. they might be the agency who will give the IMPORT permit also. (legal basis: BSP CIRCULAR 751, SERIES OF 2012 AND BSP CIRCULAR 645 SERIES OF 2009).

View user profile

6 Re: Importation Process Today at 9:58 pm

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum