I stumble upon this forum while searching for my current situation over the net, I am hoping you can shed me some light.
I was an employee from a lighting company for 8 months as a Business development officer. I do not remember signing any non-compete clause, neither do i remember having signed a waiver for it.
I received an offer from a company that carries wires, but would expand their lines to lighting. For reason of 'better opportunity' since this offer would be like a promotion of some sort, not to mention the increase in benefits and salary, I moved. Previous company offered to pay for the hospital expenses of my sister plus a car (which is not really initially offered), but as per advise of my mother and upon deep discernement, I still have decided to move.
A month after, I heard news that the company is planning to sue me for moving to the company.
My question is:
1. Would my company now be considered a direct competitor?
2. What should be my action plan?
3. Is this possible to push through?
4. If worse comes to worst, would resigning on my current company be a good idea?
5. Would this involve my current company? (By involve, I mean would they be sued too?)
I would appreciate help, since I am at the moment at a lost on what I should do. Frankly, I am nervous that this would damage my career. This is the first time it happened to me. Help!