Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does an RTC have jurisdiction in this case?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Does an RTC have jurisdiction in this case? on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:18 pm

jimmim

Arresto Menor
Does an RTC have jurisdiction over a case where our counsel turned out to be a fake lawyer? Will the court still have jurisdiction over our case when our right to counsel was violated?

View user profile

attyLLL

you'll have basis to request for new trial

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

jimmim

Arresto Menor
jimmim wrote:Does an RTC have jurisdiction over a case where our counsel turned out to be a fake lawyer? Will the court still have jurisdiction over our case when our right to counsel was violated?

Found the answer to my own question:

The outstanding rule in our jurisprudence when it comes to deprivation of right to counsel or due process is:

“The cardinal precept is that WHERE THERE IS A VIOLATION OF BASIC CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, COURTS ARE OUSTED FROM THEIR JURISDICTION. The violation of a party’s right to due process, raises a serious jurisdictional issue, which cannot be glossed over or disregarded at will. WHERE THE DENIAL OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT OF DUE PROCESS IS APPARENT, A DECISION RENDERED IN DISREGARD OF THAT RIGHT IS VOID FOR LACK OF JURISDICTION.” (Gumabon v. Director of Bureau of Prisons, G.R. No. L-30026, January 30, 1971; People v. Bocar, et. al., G.R. No. L-27935, August 16, 1985; Galman, et. al. v. Sandiganbayan, et. al., G.R. No. 72670, September 12, 1986; State Prosecutors v. Judge Manuel T. Muro, A.M. No. RTJ-92-876, September 19, 1994; Montoya v. Varilla, et. al., G.R. No. 180146, December 18, 2008).

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum