Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register


Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Arresto Menor

Im a filipina married to an american citizen on July 4, 2006.He left philippines July 10, which was the last time we've been together. September, he suddenly filed an annulment in Fresno,California where he resides . He said that his DIVORCE with his previous wife which was done in Dominican Republic( but they got married in CA) was not legally recognized by the CA state so our marriage has to be annulled for his wife will sue him for bigamy. I received some of the papers and asked me to sign it and a letter from his attorney promising that my he will assist me with the divorce here in my country. I have signed all the papers thinking that it was the right thing to do, without asking for any kind of settlement for I am trusting him that he will finalize the process here , so I could move on as well. After a year, the final judgement of Nullity from their court has been entered. I have my own copy of the divorce decree. I learned that the papers have to be filed here in Philippine court, through foreign divorce recognition. I have sent him some emails reminding him to file the divorce decree but until now I got no response and don’t know his whereabouts. I just got a copy of my Cenomar last March, it shows that I am still married to him. Three years ago, I learned that he’s now married to another woman. I learned how costly the process is, I just don’t think it’s fair for me to spend some money for it, I just want him to finish what he started. My questions are :
1. Is it possible to file for moral damages to this heartlessman? It has been a very traumatic experience for me, since then im so afraid of getting marry again. Im still scared to trust anyone. I have tried moving on by making my self busy and try to forget this nightmare. I feel so stupid for letting this to happen to me.
2. I am now planning on going abroad (CANADA) through a work visa, i would still have to declare him as my husband since the papers hasn’t been filed yet here? I would still have to declare my status as “MARRIED” even if it’s been 5 yrs separation? I never use our married name, and plans to still use my maiden name in renewing my passport.
3. What if I get marry to my boyfriend right now , will our marriage be valid? Will there be any issues petitioning him someday?
Please let me know what I should do. Can I file any case against him?

View user profile


under ph law, you are still married. if you remarry, you can be prosecuted for bigamy.

[i] Visit our FB Page: FOR MORE LEGAL ADVICE  
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum