I rented a brand new Town House on 1st November 2011. The contract expires on 1st November 2012, (1 month advance + 1 month rent paid at beginning of contract period). Advance will not be used for rent at end of contract but is for damages caused.
1. The kitchen has constantly leaked from the roof when raining from the beginning of contract and the owner has had repairs done after 1st complaint. However, it is now worse even after repairs. I have shown the owner and the reply I get is "OK, I will get it fixed next time" .. This has been said for 3 months. The last 2 typhoons made it even worse and the kitchen floor resembled a paddling pool on occasion and appliances stored under the sink have been damaged and in cases are unusable.
2. The outside wall to the house which is sala and bedroom wall appears not to have been treated before being painted. Water stains appeared in the sala closely followed in the bedroom wall in various places. Again after the 2 typhoons, the sala wall appears to have been painted with patterns and shapes and these are due to water damage and the bedroom wall has now got quite a lot of mould appeared. The engineer from the housing office came and looked at it with the owner but nothing has been done about it by owner or builders.
3. All electrical sockets have water damage and mould has also appeared around the sockets and sparks appear when I use them for appliances.
4. I am concerned about the health of myself, my gf and our new born son (2 weeks old)
I have tried unsuccessfully to contact the owner by text and call but the owner only appears when the rent is due on the first of every month and is never late.
My questions are:
1. Can I end the contract early as I have found a dry (and safe) house I wish to rent ? And how do I do this ?
2. Can I hold the owner responsible for damage to my curtains and furniture due to water damage coming in from window frames which have handles and locks missing from original build and are secured by wire which I did to try to keep them closed. (Owner and Engineer was also shown this at beginning of contract but again nothing done) ?
3. Am I legally bound to remain here until my contract expires ?
4. Can I demand to be released from my contract due to Health and Safety ?
Any help appreciated