Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stepchild Visa / Custody Inquiry

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Stepchild Visa / Custody Inquiry on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 am

Arresto Menor
I’m very glad to have found this forum. I have some inquiries regarding my future family and appreciate if you can give some inputs on it.
I’m Canadian and working here in the US. I plan to marry my Filipina fiancée next year and hope to bring her, and her 13 year old son from previous marriage (annulled), here in the US. I understand that under the derivative visa rules, my soon to be stepson is also eligible as my dependent.
Since the intent is to have my fiancée and her son lives with me here, I’m worrying that the US consul will ask for some custodial documents from the mother. My fiancée has the custody of the child by default, since the father have abandoned them long time ago. The only document she has regarding the custody is the court ruling on her annulment. There is a clause in the documents that states she has the custody of the child, or something like that.
My questions are:
1. Can she present this court ruling as custodual document for the child? Or she can maybe execute an affidavit to show that she has the custody?
2. Normally, if the mother will take her child/children abroad (temporary or permanent intent), do they (in this case the US Embassy) require you to present a consent from the biological father? Even if she has the custody of the child?
Thanks, and hope you can give some directions on my inquiries.

View user profile

2 Re: Stepchild Visa / Custody Inquiry on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 pm

i recommend you make an inquiry there on what document they will require. however, custody of the children should have been included in the court ruling so that would be the best document to present.

under philippine law, she is not required to present consent from the biological father so that the children can travel

[i] Visit our FB Page: BPO Employee Legal Advice
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

3 Re: Stepchild Visa / Custody Inquiry on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Arresto Menor
Thanks for the clarification, Atty!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum