Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Misspelled name in NSO Birth Certificate

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Misspelled name in NSO Birth Certificate on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:05 am


Arresto Menor

I would like to seek advice on what needs to be done regarding the misspelled first name of my daughter in her NSO birth certificate. What happened was (for some reason which I can't recall anymore) the copy of the local civil registrar birth certificate that was submitted to NSO was the one which was misspelled, but the local civil registrar birth cert copy that I have has no problem. Eventually when we request for an authenticated copy of my daughter's birth cert, it will show the misspelled one. Is it possible for the local copy I have w/ the correct spelling to be re-submitted to NSO? Or would a court order still be required as per RA 9048? Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

View user profile

2 Re: Misspelled name in NSO Birth Certificate on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm


Arresto Menor
You go to the local civil registar where the child was recorded, the correction can be made there. You will be required to execute and affidavit and other documents from the LCR will be signed by you. To be sure just bring with you 2 disiniterested persons to execute an affidavit with the LCR or have it done with a notary Public. After all docs are submitted and affidavits are executed,it will be the office of the LCR which will facilitate the submission of the corrected NSO records. You will be advice then when can you make the follow up of your corrected NSO.

Remember this is for the correction of your daughter's first name ha.

View user profile

3 Re: Misspelled name in NSO Birth Certificate on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 pm


Arresto Menor


Thanks for the reply, appreciate it so much. And yes, this is for the correction of my daughter's first name.

Also just want to clarify if the 2 disintersted persons can just be my relative or friends.

Thanks again.

View user profile

4 Re: Misspelled name in NSO Birth Certificate on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 pm


Arresto Menor
The safest would be not your relatives. Get somebody or your friends who know your daughter and you to execute the affidavit.

View user profile

5 Re: Misspelled name in NSO Birth Certificate on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:06 pm


Reclusion Perpetua
Under RA 9048, Section 5. Change in first name shall be filed first with petition.

Section 3. Who May File the Petition and Where. – Any person having direct and personal interest in the correction of a clerical or typographical error in an entry and/or change of first name or nickname in the civil register may file, in person, a verified petition with the local civil registry office of the city or municipality where the record being sought to be corrected or changed is kept.

In case the petitioner has already migrated to another place in the country and it would not be practical for such party, in terms of transportation expenses, time and effort to appear in person before the local civil registrar keeping the documents to be corrected or changed, the petition may be filed, in person, with the local civil registrar of the place where the interested party is presently residing or domiciled. The two (2) local civil registrars concerned will then communicate to facilitate the processing of the petition.

Citizens of the Philippines who are presently residing or domiciled in foreign countries may file their petition, in person, with the nearest Philippine Consulates.

The petitions filed with the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general shall be processed in accordance with this Act and its implementing rules and regulations.

All petitions for the clerical or typographical errors and/or change of first names or nicknames may be availed of only once.

Section 4. Grounds for Change of First Name or Nickname. – The petition for change of first name or nickname may be allowed in any of the following cases:
(1) The petitioner finds the first name or nickname to be ridiculous, tainted with dishonor or extremely difficult to write or pronounce.
(2) The new first name or nickname has been habitually and continuously used by the petitioner and he has been publicly known by that by that first name or nickname in the community: or
(3) The change will avoid confusion.

Section 5. Form and Contents of the Petition. – The petition shall be in the form of an affidavit, subscribed and sworn to before any person authorized by the law to administer oaths. The affidavit shall set forth facts necessary to establish the merits of the petition and shall show affirmatively that the petitioner is competent to testify to the matters stated. The petitioner shall state the particular erroneous entry or entries, which are sought to be corrected and/or the change sought to be made.

The petition shall be supported with the following documents:

(1) A certified true machine copy of the certificate or of the page of the registry book containing the entry or entries sought to be corrected or changed.

(2) At least two (2) public or private documents showing the correct entry or entries upon which the correction or change shall be based; and

(3) Other documents which the petitioner or the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the petition.

In case of change of first name or nickname, the petition shall likewise be supported with the documents mentioned in the immediately preceding paragraph. In addition, the petition shall be published at least once a week for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation. Furthermore, the petitioner shall submit a certification from the appropriate law enforcement agencies that he has no pending case or no criminal record.

The petition and its supporting papers shall be filed in three (3) copies to be distributed as follows: first copy to the concerned city or municipal civil registrar, or the consul general; second copy to the Office of the Civil Registrar General; and third copy to the petitioner.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum