Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cybersquatting

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Cybersquatting on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:52 pm

vbignacio

Arresto Menor
Can I be sued for cybersquatting if I own the domain name of a company?

The company was just a startup before and they asked for my help in marketing them online. In return they will give me 10% of what they earned from clients I referred to them. I made a website so I could market their company online. They just pay for the hosting fees.

Soon the company grew and the two owners have frequent disagreements. One decided to put up her own company also with the same nature of business as the first one and leave the first one. I decided to join her new company.

Can I take the domain name with me since it is under my name and I worked hard in promoting it online? I can use it to drive traffic to the new company's website. Can I be sued for Cybersquatting?

View user profile

2 Re: Cybersquatting on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 am

ibonidarna

Reclusion Perpetua
Currently implementation of RA 10175 is under TRO so you dont have to worry about cyber-squatting.

But in the long run if the TRO is lifted and the law implemented, you may violate Sec. 4 Par 6 Subpar iii of the said law.

View user profile

3 Re: Cybersquatting on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 pm

vbignacio

Arresto Menor
you mentioned this part...

(iii) Acquired without right or with intellectual property interests in it.

I developed the said website from content to coding on my own. Besides the domain is different fro the actual name of their business. For example, the domain i registered under my name is scotlandyardshipping.com while thier business name is really Scotland Yard Maritime Services, Inc.

View user profile

4 Re: Cybersquatting on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 pm

concepab

Reclusion Perpetua
vbignacio wrote:you mentioned this part...

(iii) Acquired without right or with intellectual property interests in it.

I developed the said website from content to coding on my own. Besides the domain is different fro the actual name of their business. For example, the domain i registered under my name is scotlandyardshipping.com while thier business name is really Scotland Yard Maritime Services, Inc.

In US and some other country, what you planning to do is illegal. but since our great SC suspended the anti-cyber crime law, i don't know how the owner of that company will protect their interest.

View user profile

5 Re: Cybersquatting on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm

vbignacio

Arresto Menor
please, i live here in the phils so naturally im concerned when the TRO will be lifted. and would appreciate replies from real lawyers. no offense meant.

View user profile

6 Re: Cybersquatting on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:35 pm

attyLLL

you were given good advice here.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

7 Re: Cybersquatting Today at 5:45 am

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum