Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

worries for alleged cybersex

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 worries for alleged cybersex on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:03 pm

beuleux

Arresto Menor
Hello po I am from uk I have a girlfriend who lives in cebu, apparently the NBI are having a crackdown on cybersex recently. My girlfriend is not involved in cybersex in any way but she is worried that her house will be raided just because she owns a pc and she and her family will be arrested and questioned by the NBI. My question is are her worries founded or is she overreacting to local gossip and if she is raided and arrested what are her rights and what do the NBI consider as evidence of guilt? Surely ownership of a pc doesnt imply guilt of cybersex in cebu?

Thank you po

View user profile

2 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 am

AWV

Reclusion Perpetua
Lol! kung may money transaction at may customer involvement pwede kayong ma charge ng cyber sex crime, pero kung kayo lang dalawa normal na ngayun yun kapag malayo kayo sa isa't isa! Kesa naman maghanap pa sya o ikaw ng iba!

View user profile

3 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 am

beuleux

Arresto Menor
Thanks for the reply but I dont speak tagalog, can you retype it in english please.

View user profile

4 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:52 am

AWV

Reclusion Perpetua
Ops! sorry about that! I just assumed you Filipino who live in UK.
If there's money transaction and there are customers involvement then you can be charge of cyber sex crime, but if it is between partners or couples its normal. Because its normal for a long distance relationship to be fashionate with each other, better than looking for someone else.

View user profile

5 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 am

beuleux

Arresto Menor
No Im British with a filipina girlfriend, thanks for the translation. So are you saying that owning a pc and having an internet connection is no reason to be arrested and questioned? Of course I support my girlfriend financially, are the NBI likely to do house to house searches for pc's and If they did what would they accept as evidence that we are in fact in a bonefide relationship. As I understand there is a requirement to register such electronic equipment with the local authorities in cebu, is it enforced and punished for non compliance?

View user profile

6 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:39 pm

AWV

Reclusion Perpetua
I don't think so! we don't have anything like that! That sounds like enforcing to have a TV License which can be punished if you don't have one! :O

View user profile

7 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:47 pm

AttyZag

Arresto Mayor
Beuleux,

First, this is a relatively new matter here in the Philippines. This issue stemmed from the numerous raids being conducted in Cebu from cybersex operations in a certain town. Please refer a news article here which documents this issue:

http://balita.ph/2011/07/18/cebu-town-mayor-wants-registration-for-internet-connections/

In any case, I want to point out some things:

1) This is not yet a law (passed by congress). Its a proposed regulation initiated by the town officials to narrow the areas to be investigated. The logic is that "if you don't have anything to hide, and you're not involved in cybersex operations, then you won't be afraid to register your internet connection with the local authorities."

I'm not going to comment on the wisdom, practicality or effectiveness of this policy. This is not the proper forum for that. 

My two cents: if its not too much of a bother for your GF, then ask her to just comply in the interest of helping support her community efforts to eradicate crime and for her peace of mind.That way, no more worries whether you're violating anything.

2) I haven't seen the regulations personally, so I don't have enough info to say what the penalties are (if any). But from the news article, I believe this is a voluntary initiative to support the local law enforcement elements. Its more a matter of "if you don't have anything to hide, just register so we could focus more attention on those who chose not to register". Probably no penalties involved here, just an earnest call for support from the local authorities who want to put a stop to cybersex operations.

3)  Local police authorities may only conduct searches, raids and seizures with the proper search warrants.  Search warrants are only issued if there has been previous evidence gathered, and it was presented to a court within the jurisdiction who in turn issued the warrant. 

I doubt it if they just randomly enter houses to search as you stated. This is likely more a result of gossip and paranoia on the part of people who heard about the raids (unless proof could be shown that the law enforcement authorities are indeed abusing their authority... in this case, I fail to see any evidence so I'm presuming that they are conducting their duties in accord with their mandate).

If your GF is not related to any cybersex activities, then I doubt that she should have anything to worry about. But in the unlikely event that  an incident does occur, have your GF get a lawyer immediately to sort things out.

I hope this helps.

View user profile

8 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:42 am

beuleux

Arresto Menor
Thanks for the reply, yes I assumed some scaremongering was to blame, Im in cebu in august and I will be seeing a lawyer to represent my interests, is there a public defense system available in filipino law where everyone has the right to a public defender on arrest?

View user profile

9 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:45 am

beuleux

Arresto Menor
AWV wrote:I don't think so! we don't have anything like that! That sounds like enforcing to have a TV License which can be punished if you don't have one! :O

Funny you should say that, because we have a system in the UK where you can be fined or even imprisoned for having no TV license. lol

View user profile

10 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 am

AttyZag

Arresto Mayor
Yes. We refer to public defenders as Public Attorneys here in the Philippines.

If there is a need, you may contact them at the nearest public attorney's office (PAO). If its not listed on the internet, you could ask around the city hall or the courts where this is found.

View user profile

11 Re: worries for alleged cybersex on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:43 am

AWV

Reclusion Perpetua
I was referring the TV license in UK as I used to live in Wallington, Surrey 5 years ago! Wink

beuleux wrote:
AWV wrote:I don't think so! we don't have anything like that! That sounds like enforcing to have a TV License which can be punished if you don't have one! :O

Funny you should say that, because we have a system in the UK where you can be fined or even imprisoned for having no TV license. lol

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum