Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice on possible slander

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Advice on possible slander on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 am

paulinejulian

Arresto Menor
Hi everyone. I'm new here and I'm not that familiar with criminal laws and I don't even know if this is the right place to ask.

I'm currently employed in a BPO company. To give a brief background on why this is relevant, I want to gently point out that majority, if not all, Bpo centers have a company rule against bringing electronic data devices, including cellphones, to work. Aside from that, BPO has the reputation of accepting employees from different backgrounds with less care (background checks, NBI checks, etc)

Moving forward, this past Sunday, I had a graveyard shift. At one point, I had to approach a TL for advice on a situation that's clearly above my agent status. He forwarded me to his second in command (as we call it, TECH COACH) since that person has the authority to approve my request. Needless to say, I had the unfortunate duty to look for that person. I asked one of my mates where her station was, and went to it immediately. It took me less than a minute to figure out that the person wasn't there. Her station was isolated. It was a sunday so only a few agents are in.

I called out to my mate and said, "waley naman eh!" walking back to the TL immediately. The TL and I spoke in regards to the issue for a few minutes, then I returned to my station.

Approximately ten minutes after, the tech coach approached me and called my attention. In a voice that could be heard by people around me, she asked me if I saw her phone. I said no. I informed her of what happened and why I went to her station. She immediately said, "Ikaw lang daw ang dumaan dun." At that time, she was panicked. She left, but returned a couple of minutes later with a TL, asking me again if I saw nothing. I said no. I did not.

She took me aside and asked for my permission to look inside my bag. I immediately said yes, to clear out suspicion. I opened it in front of my co workers as witnesses. She left again. At this time, I felt deeply humiliated, and ashamed. I didn't know if it was my imagination or if it was true, but I felt eyes on me. 

To make matters worse, she made one of my friends approach me to check my bag again. At this point, I was shaking with anger and shame. Sobrang nakakahiya. In fairness though to my friend, she has the intention to pull me aside to check my bag, but I refused. In my head, if they were to check my bag, they do it infront of people to at least prove my innocence, not only to them but also with others.

At this point, I was close to crying. I was never really good at handling false accusations.

Monday night, I was informed that that person was asking people I'm close with if I had any "history", where I was, who saw me, what time, etc. One of the people I spoke to even let slipped that I was the primary suspect and possibly the ONLY suspect. But of course, she followed up with the non-committal clause "Hindi ko naman siya pinagbibintangan pero..."

She demanded to see the CCTV footage to incriminate someone. I will not assume it's me, but that nagging space in my head says yes.

I spoke to my TL and manager about this. I even requested for the CCTV as well. And they said that they would "talk to her". The CCTV request is taking too long, and I'm afraid that her rant may have reached people who does not even know me, planting an idea in their head that I am a thief.

Guys, I'm afraid that my integrity, my reputation and my credibility is at risk. And at a company that I worked hard for. I'm sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include all of the details as much as possible.

I'm ready for the CCTV and ready to prove my innocence. But if the management refuse to take care of this, I'm thinking to moving this to legal action. I just don't know if my case meets the requirements.

View user profile

2 Re: Advice on possible slander on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:04 pm

AttyZag

Arresto Mayor
Most BPO's have a grievance machinery in place for matters such as this.

What happens is that a committee designated by the company would invite all the parties involved and have them talk over issues to prevent things from escalating. 

First, talk to your boss again about this, and ask how to invoke management's participation to put an end to the issue. Remind your boss that no action has been taken on the issue so far.

If no action is taken, I think that writing a formal letter to your boss or the management asking for a resolution of this matter would be best. In that case, the intended result would be:

1) The person who lost the phone would be forced to reveal her evidence against you and you would be able to refute it. If it turns out that he/she can't prove it, she will be forced to stop spreading rumors.

2) You will be able to present your side, rather than put up with all the rumors which you can't address.

In either case, you will be able to put a stop to all this once you confront all the relevant parties at the correct forum.

In your request letter, please take a humble and respectful tone. Just lay out what you narrated here, and be sure to emphasize the effects of the incident were on your personal life. I'm sure that your management will listen if you're able to convince them that it is in the best interest of the company to resolve this now due to the conflict it is causing.

I hope this helps.

View user profile

3 Re: Advice on possible slander on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:59 pm

paulinejulian

Arresto Menor
Thank you AttyZag. It helps a lot. For the mean time, I will just wait for the management to cooperate. The only thing that bothers me is that my TL warned me that there is a possibility that the CCTV request would be denied due to the "no cellphone policy". That this type of situation is not really taken seriously by the higher ups

Hopefully though, they would take steps.

View user profile

4 Re: Advice on possible slander on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm

AttyZag

Arresto Mayor
Yes, I'm hoping for that as well.

In any case, if the CCTV evidence is not presented, that's actually a problem for the person accusing you. That was supposed to be the evidence to pin you. Now that they don't have it, they will have a harder time supporting their claims.

But you have more going for you:

- There were witnesses who saw that there was nothing in your bag;
- You were willing to cooperate, and still, they found nothing;
- Aside from the bare accusation of the accuser, there was actually no proof presented linking you to the alleged theft.

Again, here's hoping that you get to resolve this soon. Being accused of a crime is a very serious matter, and the sooner it gets resolved, the better for everyone.

Hope this helps.

View user profile

5 Re: Advice on possible slander on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 pm

paulinejulian

Arresto Menor
I would like to give an update on what's happening.

There was a guy caught stealing a client's bag. From my account. That person was searched and interviewed by HR yesterday afternoon.
My manager spoke to the tech coach about the huge possibility that it's the same culprit. And he even reprimanded her for what she's done to me. That *insert curse word* girl has the guts to say, "HINDI KO NAMAN SIYA PINAGBIBINTANGAN." Immediately turning the story around.

I have witnesses on the floor that I was the one she is incriminating.

Now that the sim card was found in the possession of that other guy I was talking about, she suddenly messaged me in facebook, how it's natural to be like that and how I should understand and that she apologizes for it. In facebook.

It's really unfair if I just let it go, just like this. It's as if I rolled over like a dog.

I'm at a loss.

View user profile

6 Re: Advice on possible slander on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 pm

AttyZag

Arresto Mayor
Your call.

You could make a bigger issue out of the whole incident and take further steps such as: compel your accuser to swallow her pride, issue a public statement to rectify what was said in front of management and your fellow employees. Probably even issue a statement in the company newsletter or email everyone. Even continue filing the slander case for good measure...

... OR...

You could be the bigger person and let this go at this point.

I opt for the second option because from where I'm sitting, I would say that you've already been vindicated. 

Things like this have a way of spreading across the office, so I'm sure that everyone already knows that you were innocent. In effect, your accuser is now reaping the effects of her badmouthing. She is probably the topic of gossip in the office right now for falsely accusing you. 

Being an adviser on the side of management for most cases, I could assure you that managers and higher-ups appreciate mature employees who know when to let an issue go. As a bonus, you probably look like the hero at this point since "hindi mo pinatulan". Things like this are appreciated as signs of professionalism. 

In closing, those are the things I want you to consider before taking your next step. And, congratulations for clearing your name. Smile

Hope this helps you decide.

Last edited by AttyZag on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammar Police :-p)

View user profile

7 Re: Advice on possible slander on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:47 pm

paulinejulian

Arresto Menor
Thank you for all of your insight. I agree with you. I think it's just that small devil within me that keeps demanding her head on a silver platter.

I will just speak to her in front of management, ask for an apology, then let it go.

Thank you so much. I feel soooooo much better!

View user profile

8 Re: Advice on possible slander on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:27 pm

AttyZag

Arresto Mayor
Welcome. :-)

View user profile

9 Re: Advice on possible slander on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 pm

MR_0911

Arresto Menor
GOOD DAY. GUSTO KO PO HUMINGI NG ADVICE, KASI PO LAST APRIL 2013 SA SOBRANG GALIT KO PO SA ISANG KASAMAHAN KO NAKAPAGSALITA PO AKO NG HINDI MAGANDA "BARILIN KO NA KYA YAN PARA TUMAHIMIK" HINDI KO PO INTENSYON SABIHIN YUN DAHIL PO SA GALIT KYA KO NASABI ANG SALITANG IYON, PERO AFTER KO SINABI IYON WALA PO AKONG GNWANG HND MAGANDA SA KANYA. PERO HINDI PO SIYA NAGPBLOTTER, TPOS NGYON GAGAMITIN DAW PO NG COMPANY YUNG ISSUE NA YAN PARA GANTIHAN AKO EH ALMOST 2 MONTHS NA PO PERO KAHIT HEARING SA BARANGAY O BLOTTER WALA PO SILANG GINAWA, 50 DAYS NA PO AKONG WALA SA COMPANY. EH NAALALA KO PO NA YUNG TAONG PINAGSABIHAN KO, NGSABI RIN PO NG PAMBABANTA SA ISA NAMIN KASAMAHAN. ANO PO BA DAPAT KONG GAWIN

View user profile

10 Re: Advice on possible slander on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:01 pm

alana_bloom

Arresto Menor
Hi!

I am presently employed and today, I was asked to submit a NTE (notice to explain) to answer an alleged violation of the company's policies--THREAT and INTIMIDATION.

Apparently, there were several coworkers of mine who felt "threatened" when I was talking to one of my collegue friends. I was engaged in a palyful discussion with my friend and I said: "ikaw ha, absent ka ng absent, puro ka pa late. Pag ikaw ang na-terminate, pagpapatayin ko na lang silang lahat."

First of all, we were laughing. Second, it was clearly meant to be a joke. Third, I was not engaged in a direct confrontation with anybody at the time, ergo, no direct threats were made to anybody.

Then all of a sudden, my boss gives ma piece of paper where I am asked to provide a NTE within 24 hours to answer to the complaint filed against me by people who "overheard."

When I asked who the complainants were, they refused to give me the names to protect the employees.

But what about me? I am also an employee. Who will protect me?

I told my boss and the HR representative that I will be needing the names of the complainants so I can formally file a lawusit against them.

Am I dong the right thing? If not, what steps should I take to protect myself and my employment?

Thank you in advance!

View user profile

11 Re: Advice on possible slander Today at 4:11 am

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum