Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can relatives of unemployed father be obliged to shoulder support?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Juliet E

Arresto Menor
Dear Atty.,

I hope to seek advice on a case.

My brother has two kids out of wedlock. He was providing financial support to the kids thru our parents who buy the basic needs of the kids with the money he provides until he stopped two years ago when he lost his job. Despite that fact, my parents and actually even us siblings continue to provide for the needs of the kids without hesitations because we love the kids.
Now, the mother seeked support from my brother. Since my brother is unemployed, the mediating lawyer asked if us, my brother's family are willing to provide the support.
My question is, can the mother of the kids demand from us legally? Also, can we demand for visitation rights?
By the way, my brother now has a live-in partner and a son.

Please enlighten me as our final meeting is on july 12, 2013.
Thank you and more power!

Joy E.

View user profile


Reclusion Perpetua
Supreme Court has decided that the grandparents may be obliged to provide support to their grandchildren if the father is unable to provide support. IMHO, this should not be the case. Visitation rights is given to the father whether or not he can provide support.

View user profile

Juliet E

Arresto Menor
thank you for your reply. I hope i could read the case where SC decided the same so I could study. I believe the means/capacity of the grandparents will be considered also, if ever.

View user profile


Arresto Menor
oh this is a good thread. may i please know the case or code which specifies that if the father cannot provide, the grandparents are obliged to? also, does this apply even if we are not married, but our son carries the father's name?

View user profile


Arresto Menor
Hi, so it means if the father cannot give give support the grandparents are obliged? Hmmm. But the amount will be based on the father's family how much they can give.. What if the father cannot give money but wanted to visit the child. Is there any chance that only visitation can occur not allowing the grand parents to give bec it's the father's right to give.

View user profile


Reclusion Temporal
Lim vs. lim g.r. No. 163209 october 30, 2009

View user profile


Arresto Mayor
udmlaw wrote:Lim vs. lim g.r. No. 163209 october 30, 2009

wow!!! Shocked 

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum