Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recognition of foreign judgment for divorce

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Arresto Menor
Got married 1990. Went to the US.  Got divorced after 16 years.  Can a foreign judgement be recognized in the Philippines?? Both are US citizens now. Are they still governed by the Phil. law coz they are Filipinos by natural birth. The woman is now married with a mexican. Can the guy get married again in the Phil?

Properties - the guy has an inheritance from his father and he include the name of the ex wife, does she has the right to claim from this property?

Last edited by dawiduck on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i add more info)

View user profile

2 got this from NSO website on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:32 am


Arresto Menor

Annotation on the effects of divorce declared in a foreign country

A request for copy issuance of COM with annotation on the effects of divorce abroad resulted to a negative result or COM without annotation.

How to correct

The divorce decree granted by a foreign country must first be filed for recognition in the Philippine Regional Trial Court (RTC).
Once the local court recognized the foreign divorce decree, register it to the LCRO of the place of jurisdiction of the RTC which granted the petition.
The next step is to provide the copy of the registered court decree and certificate of finality to the LCRO where the marriage was registered for the annotation in the COM.
Once registered, you may now request for an annotated COM at NSO. The complete set of documents: registered court decree, certificate of finality, certificate of registration and the annotated COM is to be forwarded through courier to NSO for processing. Also hand-carry the set of documents for filing an application at NSO-Central Outlet, East Avenue

View user profile


if they were no longer filipinos at the time of filing of the divorce petition, then the divorce can be recognized under ph law

[i] Visit our FB Page: FOR MORE LEGAL ADVICE  
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

4 Thank you on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:27 am


Arresto Menor

Yes, both are US citizens when the divorced was filed.

Thank you for the reply. Very Happy 

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum