Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fictional Story and Libel

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fictional Story and Libel on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:21 am

Arresto Menor
Hello Attorney,

About six years ago, I submitted a short story (written in Cebuano) to a fiction-writing competition. The story details the hardships and psychological abuses I experiencing with my in-laws. The characters in my story resemble my in-laws and me and they were only identified in the story using first names (there are no last names whatsoever). My character's first name was changed but somehow has similarities to my actual first name. The story details their negative personalities (ina-under ang mga anak, lasenggo, etc.) and how my character and his wife copes with the situation.

The thing is this story won an award and was posted on the internet by the award-giving body. Eventually, my in-laws found out about my fictional story and are royally pissed about it. They are claiming that the story is libelous and now they are giving me and my wife a hard time even though we have been living separately from them for more than three years. They are even threatening to sue me. My reason is anybody who doesn't personally know them won't associate the characters in the story to them because no last names were used, and not everything in the story actually happened in real life because some elements in that story are purely fiction.

Can I be sued for libel?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide me.

View user profile

2 Re: Fictional Story and Libel on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:01 pm

if they sue, imo, the charge will not prosper

[i] Visit our FB Page: BPO Employee Legal Advice
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum