Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can i ask for financial support for minor child from my in-laws?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Arresto Menor
Dear Moderators,

My husband died 5 years ago and my 2 children then were aged 17 and 11. I tried hard to raise them and give them the best that i could. I was a newly hired public school teacher then. I got some amount from OWWA and SSS and from his Philamlife insurance policy then. My eldest is now taking his review course and my youngest is a scholar at College of Saint Benilde. I never have any relationship since then.

In 2011 my daughter was diagnosed of Cancer and she undergone chemotherapy for more than a year. I never demanded anything from my in-laws since my husband died. My mother and sister-in-laws are both US pensioner and one of my brother-in-law's family has migrated to Canada. Almost all of the oldest's brother-in-law's children lived with my mother-in-law while they were studying, and the reason why i hesitated to ask for financial support from her was the consideration that she was supporting these grandchildren.

Last November, my cancer-survivor daughter was once again confined at the hospital due to dengue and i called my in-laws for financial assistance since i am really in great debt due to the medical expenses we went through and still going through. I attempted several calls and sent an email message, posted in FB, about my then emotional and financial hardship. To my dismay, nobody from my in-laws dared to respond.

I am still in financial crisis since my daughter commutes from Cavite to Manila daily and my son also needs to be financed for his review and training. My monthly income as a Teacher II in public school does not suffice our financial needs. Now that all children of my oldest brother-in-law has their own careers and this brother-in-law receives his monthly pension as retired PNP officer I am considering to ask for their help.

I would like to ask if my daughter, who is 16 years old now, has the legal right to ask for financial support from her grand mother. If so, what should we do to go through this. Thank you very much.


View user profile


yes, she has the right to be supported by her legitimate grandparents.

it will be better if you can approach them and ask for help. if they refuse, the legal remedy is to file a petition in court to compel them

[i] Visit our FB Page: FOR MORE LEGAL ADVICE  
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum