I am a supervisor (actual company title is Team Manager) at BPO company under its Finance department.
Recently, we were acquired by a larger company and as a result it has been 4 months that we have been required to work16 hours for 2 straight weeks every month (January to April 2014)
When I say we, I mean:
My staff (officer)
..as we are the only ones who close the books. My staff and I do most, if not all, of the actual works.
Here are my concerns:
1. We are not allowed to go home even if the work for 2 days were not done in a straight shift (16 hours straight work)
2. For 16 hours work we can offset 1 day off but still subject to approval.
3. Recently the controller said we can only offset if we worked 17 hours (add`l 1 hour for break which we do not usually avail due to time constraints)
4. Less than 16 hours cannot offset for 1 day. Even if we worked 15.5 hours.
5. We are not paid overtime, night diff or hazard pay because ad officers we are paid in fixed salaries biweekly.
6. Our previous controller allowed us salaried employees to go undertime to offset our overtime. Now we cannot even do that though it is an internal arrangement.
7. I am aware that there are legal bases for an employer to force employees to render overtime, but are they all absolute and without exception?
I would very much appreciate your thoughts and advice for each concern I pointed out. Thank you in advance for patiently reading this. Hope to get your legal advice the soonest.
These forced overtime have been affecting my health, especially im pregnant and im my first critical trimester.