My question is (and this is the 1st time I have encountered this in my years of HR practice), is it correct for my superior (CEO) to hold my resignation with defined pre-requisites despite my compliance to the 30 days and proper turn over of all my responsibilities? He specifically said, I am okay with your resignation as long as you will find a qualified replacement for your post and roll out a specific project - if not you cannot leave. I committed to do my best to source for my replacement but the hiring decision will still be ultimately his. I do not think it is right for him to hold my resignation if I have endorsed candidates to him and I have a VP for HR who can assume the role for the meantime.
I also would like to know if it is a justifiable basis for him to not sign my clearance and release my last pay if no replacement for my post is hired on or before October 20. He has been known to not sign any clearances and will usually sign for the last pay 4-6 months after an employee/manager has resigned.
Kindly help me bring some light here on what other rights I have as an employee hovering around the predicament I have stated above.