Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

duel citizenship question

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 duel citizenship question on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:33 pm

pinoyatheart

Arresto Menor
Hello,

I am currently engaged to a lovely Filipina and we plan to get married next year. My question is should I marry her in the Philippines or in the USA or can I marry her in both? She does not have US citizenship yet so I would like to marry her in the US so she can have citizenship for herself and children, but I would also like to be a citizen of the Philippines. Salamat for your help!

View user profile

2 Re: duel citizenship question on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 am

busty

Arresto Menor
Hi there, you can apply for Filipino citizenship, Philippines does not adhere on the principle of jus solo but we adopt the principle of jus sanguini (principle by blood) marrying a Filipino does not make you ipso facto acquired Filipino citizenship because of that principle meaning you have to be born with Filipino motherbor father or those mentioned on 1987 constitution under the law on Citizenship. How ever if you will marry her on your country the law on your country will govern if your law will grant her a citizenship then he can acquire dual citizenship under the civil code art 26 .

View user profile

3 Salamat! on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:57 am

pinoyatheart

Arresto Menor
Ok so I can apply for Duel citizenship but its not likely that I will get it bc I do not have any filipino bloodline, is that correct? Also, we plan to visit the Philippines next year and she wants to stay for more than a month, but its my understanding that I can only get a 21 day visa as a tourist. Is there a way to extend my stay? Another question, if I marry her in the USA first will any children still living in the philippines automatically get US citizenship? Salamat para sa iyong tulong po!

View user profile

4 Re: duel citizenship question on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:13 am

AWV

Reclusion Perpetua
If you are married to Filipina and you wish to visit Philippines in a longer period, you have to travel with her in order to have a 1 year visa stamp on your passport. But if you come alone without your Filipino spouse you will only be granted 21 days visa.

Regarding dual citizenship, you are not entitled to, but if you intend to live with her in the Philippines you can obtain a permanent residence visa which is a visa for Filipinos foreign spouse.

View user profile

5 Re: duel citizenship question on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:19 am

Katrina288

Reclusion Perpetua
pinoyatheart wrote:Ok so I can apply for Duel citizenship but its not likely that I will get it bc I do not have any filipino bloodline, is that correct?  Also, we plan to visit the Philippines next year and she wants to stay for more than a month, but its my understanding that I can only get a 21 day visa as a tourist.  Is there a way to extend my stay?  Another question, if I marry her in the USA first will any children still living in the philippines automatically get US citizenship?  Salamat para sa iyong tulong po!

If you marry your Filipina girlfriend, her children living in the Philippines will not automatically become US citizens. You can either sponsor them to migrate to the U.S. or adopt them under the Phil law. But you can only adopt them if they are still minors and you have to get the consent of their biological father to petition them to migrate to the U.S. or to adopt them.

-Atty. Katrina

View user profile http://www.kgmlegal.ph

6 salamat po! on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 pm

pinoyatheart

Arresto Menor
Maraming salamat po for your help!

View user profile

7 Re: duel citizenship question on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Katrina288

Reclusion Perpetua
You're welcome Smile

View user profile http://www.kgmlegal.ph