Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Refresher Course after TWO Takes of Bar Exams

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Refresher Course after TWO Takes of Bar Exams on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Hopeful2014

Arresto Menor
Hello everyone,

I graduated from a law school in our province 3 years ago. I took the Bar 2013 and 2014, but I failed in both. In 2013 my score was near passing. I have not yet received my scores for Bar 2014. I admit that my law school foundation is not very good (nobody's fault but mine).

I now live in Manila and I think I have to rest from the bar review this year. I have received advice that I can enroll in a voluntary refresher course. My husband-to-be said I can stop working and become a full-time student in the refresher course.

Can anybody advise if this is a good idea? Or any better idea? What schools here in Manila can be appropriate for me for a refresher course? Will San Beda accept refresher student like me?

Help naman po. Thanks.

View user profile

Katrina288

Reclusion Perpetua
Hi,

I haven't done a refresher course. I will only share my experience when I was reviewing for the bar exam.

It's really up to you if you want to enrol in a voluntary refresher course. Before you decide, think about why you think you failed the past 2 bar exams. You may have been distracted by different activities or by working, etc. During the bar review period, I would personally not recommend for you to work. Distraction is the worst enemy of one who is reviewing for the bar exam.

When I was reviewing for the bar exam, I attended the lectures for about a week, but I realised it was a waste of time. I studied on my own in my old condo. It was quiet and I lived by myself to avoid temptations of chatting or going out. I studied Monday to Friday. I didn't study on weekends.

Study your review materials, I read reviewers and also read Riano's books on rem law. Don't read too fast and not absorb anything, but don't read too slow as well. i read about 150 to 200 pages a day when I was reviewing.

Last edited by Katrina288 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo error)

View user profile http://www.kgmlegal.ph

Hopeful2014

Arresto Menor
Hello Katrina,

Thank you for your reply.

I believe I failed the last two exams because my law school foundation is not really very good. Again, that's no one's fault but my own. I was working during the entire 4 years of my law school.

I was not working during the bar review. In fact, I believe that I gave the both reviews my all.

Now, I have the opportunity and resources to stop working and focus on studying - even for a refresher. I am also very tired with the Bar that I want to take a break from it. The thought of taking it this year tires me. I plan to take it again next year.

My theory is that I may know the law enough to pass the bar, but I don't know how to approach exam questions. I can't put the different provisions together to give a bulls-eye answer for each question, at least not within the limited time during the Bar exams. Worse, the OBC is not anymore releasing Bar Exam notebooks. So I can't really assess how the examiners appreciated my answers.

I think that is where the mentoring of law professors come in. If I take the usual prelim, midterm, and final exams during the refresher course, my teachers can provide feedback on how I can improve my answering techniques.

I already called San Beda and it seems like there's a very little chance that I can enroll there for a refresher. I am now considering Arellano.

What do you think? I will really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks.

View user profile

Katrina288

Reclusion Perpetua
Relating different provisions together is learned by reading supreme court decided cases, law books, etc. I'm not sure if this can be addressed in a refresher course. Maybe if you have a lawyer friend, you can ask him/her to do a mock review bar exam with you and try to evaluate your answer, the way you answer, etc.

Maybe consider U.P. or San Sebastian? I am from UP Law (and also enrolled in our own bar review program before I took the bar exam), but as I said, I only attended the review for one week.

You should also consider the review materials that you used. Did you buy/photocopy bar review books (not just the handout after each bar review lecture)?

Regards,
Atty. Katrina

View user profile http://www.kgmlegal.ph

Hopeful2014

Arresto Menor
Atty. Katrina,

Thank you for taking time to respond.

I reviewed in Ateneo for 2013, and San Sebastian last year. Obviously both did not work for me.

I think I have enough Bar Review books. I read Riano, Nachura, Bernas, Villanueva, Dimaampao, Azucena, Chan, Jurado, Aquino, Sempio-Diy, Co-Untian, Mamalateo, Boado, Pano, Aguirre for 1st reading. I write notes and use the updated San Beda reviewers for 2nd reading. I use the San Beda reviewers again for 3rd reading.

I even spent money for renting a dorm room near Baste last year so that I can concentrate on studying. This is why I really cannot reconcile how I failed. Huhuhu. =(

I am thinking of enrolling in Jurists Bar Review because they have one-on-one coaching. I think it will help approach and answer bar questions. I hope this is a good idea and will work for me this time.

Thank you again for your inputs.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum