Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHANGING MY SURNAME - Illegitimate Child

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 CHANGING MY SURNAME - Illegitimate Child on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:14 pm


Arresto Menor
Hi, I am 17 years old and I live with both of my parents. My dad is a foreigner and my mom is a Filipina.
I would like to change my surname from my mother's surname to my father's surname.
Although they are not married, my parents live together and both acknowledge me as their child.
What documents would I need in order to change my surname?
How long would this process take place?
How would I be able to settle this with my school if I were to change my surname?

Thanks Very Happy

View user profile


Reclusion Perpetua
Relatively easy if you have the Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF).
This is filed by your father or mother or guardian but not by you as you are a minor at Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where you were born.
Filed with the AUSF are Certificate of Live Birth with accomplished Affidavit of Acknowledgement/ Admission of Paternity at the back.
Rules are different for those registered with a Certificate of Live Birth and for those with no record yet with the Civil Registry Office. Likewise there are rules for minors and children of age.
For references, read the Republic Act 9255 at the site.
For details on fees, timing, inquire at the Civil Registry Office. Filing is one activity, registering with the NSO is another.

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum