Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Information Technology Agreement - IT products import duty-free?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

krisemmanuelyg

Arresto Menor
Hello Sir/Madam,

I would like to inquire if the "Information Technology Agreement" is in effect here in the Philippines?
I have a shipment package being held by the Customs, specifically a "Warranty replacement Computer Mouse".

From what I have read, ITA (Information Technology Agreement) eliminates import duties on Information Technology products. My item falls under Computer Peripherals as listed in Attachment A1 (page 118).
usitc.gov/publications/332/journals/05_andersonmohs_itagreement.pdf

If ITA is in effect in our country, haggling this in the Customs is really a major roadblock to our advancement in technology.
My question is, do i have the right to have zero importation charges (as stated in ITA) for this IT product item? Given it's also a warranty replacement.

I have put the links below for easy reference about ITA:

web.ita.doc.gov/ITI/itiHome.nsf/9b2cb14bda00318585256cc40068ca69/de1ea002117f656885256d11007369c1?OpenDocument

usitc.gov/publications/332/journals/05_andersonmohs_itagreement.pdf

wto.org/english/tratop_e/inftec_e/itaintro_e.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Technology_Agreement

usitc.gov/publications/332/pub4382.pdf

Thank you so much and God bless for having this pro bono.

View user profile

2 Executive Order 163 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:53 pm

krisemmanuelyg

Arresto Menor
Also I have read
Executive Order 163:
tariffcommission.gov.ph/eo-163
gov.ph/2003/01/10/executive-order-no-163/

Does this eliminate the import duty of ICT a.k.a. IT products? Especially a computer peripheral?

Also using Tariff finder, I search for the tariff of "computer peripheral", the result is 0% rate:
finder.tariffcommission.gov.ph/index.php?page=tariff-finder3

Could someone verify this if ICT products are indeed import duty free

Last edited by krisemmanuelyg on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

marlo

Reclusion Perpetua

You mean tax for a computer mouse? Goodness, those custom guys are really certified crocs!

From where did you buy your PC mouse btw?

View user profile

krisemmanuelyg

Arresto Menor
marlo wrote:
You mean tax for a computer mouse? Goodness, those custom guys are really certified crocs!

From where did you buy your PC mouse btw?

Hi, I bought it here in the Philippines. After few months it has malfunctioned so I contacted the manufacturer and they honored the warranty and sent me a replacement mouse for no cost. But sadly it is still in the customs, because they are requiring me to pay for importation even thought there's a special label on the box "Warranty Replacement Mice". Are ICT/IT products commonly import duty free or is this haggling only happens in my area.

View user profile

marlo

Reclusion Perpetua

Im not so sure. The manufacturer could have declared a nifty total costs of the item that could had waived any import fees or might have triggered attraction of fees somehow.

Yes It is a computer peripheral but it's just a simple PC mouse that they could just let go.

Was it delivered via FedEx or DHL? or postal ?

I would buy a local mouse instead of wasting my time and transpo going back and forth with those crocs... GL

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum