Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wedding Problems!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Wedding Problems! on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:24 pm

elle009

Arresto Menor
Hi! Im going home on th 23rd to get married for documentation purposes. I authorized my fiance to get my birth certificate at NSO, they would only release my first registered name. My dad changed my first name so he made a late-registered one which is what Im currently using (the place of birth is also changed) in all documents including passport and visas. We are advised to cancel the first one which is okay but the problem is I am only staying for 3 weeks and Im afraid with all the processing we wont be able to get married before I leave. Are there possible ways for us to get married while the birth certificate is pending? Im really worried. TIA!

View user profile

2 Re: Wedding Problems! on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:34 am

Katrina288

Reclusion Perpetua
You can get married using your first registered name and take care of the petition for cancellation of birth certificate afterwards. However, if you are rushing to get married so you can take your fiancé with you abroad, you will have problems because your visa, passport, etc. are using your second registered name.

If you take care of the petition for cancellation first, you may have to delay your wedding for another year.

Either way, there's some form inconvenience.

Regards,

Atty. Katrina

View user profile http://www.kgmlegal.ph

3 Re: Wedding Problems! on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:40 am

elle009

Arresto Menor
If I use my first name for the wedding, can I make changes on it in the future when Im done sorting out my birth registry? Im not going to take him with me right away, but I would like to include his name together with our daughter's in my PR application in August. We just need to get married before the submission of application. I read in one post that they managed to get married using a proxy, is that really possible? Thank you so much for taking time Smile

View user profile

4 Re: Wedding Problems! on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:58 am

Katrina288

Reclusion Perpetua
Yes, you can have your name in your marriage contract corrected later on. I understand.

No, wedding by proxy done here in the Philippines will render the marriage void (walang bisa) because under the Family Code of the Philippines, one of the requirements for a valid marriage is the PERSONAL declaration (requiring personal appearance of the husband and wife) of the parties to the marriage that they take each other as husband and wife.

The validity of marriage by proxy done abroad is still a debatable issue (whether or not it is also valid here in the Philippines).

Regards,

Atty. Katrina

5 Re: Wedding Problems! on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:20 am

elle009

Arresto Menor
Thank you so much Atty. Katrina. At least now I have options to think abt. You have no idea how the time you spent for us help us a lot! More power and God bless!

View user profile

6 Re: Wedding Problems! on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 am

Katrina288

Reclusion Perpetua
No worries, you're welcome and good luck! Smile

7 Re: Wedding Problems! on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:32 pm

elle009

Arresto Menor
Hi Atty., I have one more concern. My fiance's middle name is spelt wrong in my daughter's birth certificate. She has a passport using that birth certificate. If we have her birth cert fixed, does she also need to get a new passport? Thanks!

View user profile

8 Re: Wedding Problems! Today at 5:56 pm

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum