Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

change of surname

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 change of surname on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:12 pm


Arresto Menor
hi! I want to change the name of my child from his dad's surname to mine. his father and I were not married and we no longer have a communication for almost 2 years and I have no idea about his whereabouts. My son is already 3 years old. I wanna know the process here in the Philippines because someone told me it's not that easy to do that.

View user profile

2 Re: change of surname on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:37 am


Reclusion Perpetua

Since your child is acknowledged by the father, you cannot change his surname to yours on the ground that you and the father are no longer in good terms. Please know that there are only certain grounds which may be used to change the surname of an individual and the break-up of the parents is not one of them.

If you are really decided to let your child use your surname, you may look into the possibility of adopting your own child. With adoption, his rights would be similar to that of a legitimate child, use your surname, etc. However, you will need to get the written consent of the father. Thus, you may want to reach out to him and see what he thinks about the idea.


Atty. Katrina

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum