Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dress Code and Hairstyle policy

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Dress Code and Hairstyle policy on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 am

uzumakichi

Arresto Menor
At my school(private), it's not allowed to grow your hair long for males and if you do not cut your hair short you are on for suspension.
the policy runs like this:
"Hair shall not cover the eyes, do not extend below the earlobes and do not touch the collar of the uniform. Hairstyles that disrupt and attracts attention on class are not allowed"

Opinion: I myself have long hair so I put this topic on hand. First of all, its a gender discriminating policy. Why? Because If girls are allowed to have their hair long, equality is not observed if its not allowed for boys. Girls with long hair do not disrupt and attract attention on class so do as boys. I still got life out of school and my life doesn't just revolve around it. Repressing the individuality and freedom of choice is what this kind of policy does.

Thats just my personal opinion and i need LEGAL OPINION to back it up. Thank you.

View user profile

2 Re: Dress Code and Hairstyle policy on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 pm

attyLLL

i'm afraid freedom of expression is not absolute, and certain rights can be curtailed particularly for younger persons. by choosing to enter the school, you and your parents agreed to abide by its rules as long as they are legal and reasonable.

is it unreasonable for a school to require shorter hair for males? i'm afraid you would be in an uphill climb to try to invalidate such a policy.

there is a manual for private schools issued by the DECS and CHED. unfortunately, there is no copy available online because it's as thick as a book. i doubt if there will be any provision which will support your position.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

3 Re: Dress Code and Hairstyle policy on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 pm

uzumakichi

Arresto Menor
Thank you for that response. But I'm already 18 years old so i'm not part of any child rights anymore, I guess? I'm on college and my school is not yet accredited as a University.

Well of course for me its very unreasonable. I thought it would fall into the category of right to privacy or on the magna carta of the students about rights on admission, non-discrimination and quality education. Or in any other International law about discrimination.

The policy was not existing when we signed on the agreement upon my admission. It was imposed a week after the start of the class.

Do they have the right to suspend me? or will it be possible for me to just wrap my hair up so it wont go against their policy?

View user profile

4 Re: Dress Code and Hairstyle policy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 am

attyLLL

uzu, i responded to your email and i sent some links of american cases about hair.

i really am afraid that this will be an uphill battle for you. hair style is more of an expression and not speech. in my opinion, the school is within its rights to require you. to abide by its grooming policy.

now, if you really want to push the envelope on this one, you can write a letter to your administration stating that you believe you have the right to wear your hair in a manner you wish, and that their grooming policy is unreasonable for the times and under current community standards. if they still suspend you, then you will have to file a case for damages or for reinstatement. good luck.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum