Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Illegitimate Child baring father's name but shows no marriage of parents - inheritance issues w/ father's siblings

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Arresto Menor

Kinda complicated po ang kaso ko so I badly need advise.

I'm 34 yrs old & have grown up using my father's surname sa lahat - school, work, public documents etc

This included my birth certificate which I have already used for passport, sss & marriage certificate.

My dad died 3 yrs ago & my grandparents died 1990's. I have lived with my dad's family since I was born (great grandfather, lola, lolo & my dad's siblings) I know that my parents are unmarried which technically makes me illegitimate (i only realized this now) My dad did not sign my birth certificate which I only realized now which my uncle pointed out.

The problem now is that the properties left by my grandparents were not transferred to my dad & his siblings which is what my aunts & uncles are thinking of selling. They are pressuring me into signing a Extra Judicial Settlement & Special Power of Attorney "representing" my dad.

I have reservations regarding this as:

1. They are claiming that since I am illegitimate I can only get 1/4 of the estate which is the part my father's share which he could have inherited. & they are telling me they are willing to give me 1/2 in respect to my dad.

2. Why should my inheritance be the same as their.. which they are telling me...

3. My birth certificate is showing a marriage date for my parents & the legitimate is ticked as well. But I know that they are not married ( I have no relationship with my mom at all)

4. What are my successional/inheritance rights in respect to my father's supposed inheritance of my grandmother's estate? I am an only child & my dad has no other wives or children.

5. Can I demand in writing that they indicate what they will give to me to me as my fear is if I sign the papers & they only verbally agree they can just give me whatever they like.

6. They are telling me they can go ahead with the settlement w/o my signature & that I might even end up not getting a single cent... can they do that?

Last edited by mymy21 on Sun May 01, 2016 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile


Arresto Menor
up pls...

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum