Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register


Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Arresto Menor
Hi, this issue has many parts I need to explain, please bear with me.

Issue #1 - I was born in the US and have an american passport but did not grow up there. My mother got me Philippine citizenship and I've been here most of my life. I had always used my Philippine passport and I have SSS, tax records etc. I only renewed my US passport 2 years ago when I went there for a vacation. This year when I went to DFA they wouldn't renew my passport because I had already renewed my American passport and I don't have official 'Dual Citizenship' papers. Question - Am I not a citizen anymore? I there a way I can continue being a citizen?

Issue #2 - I have a 6 year old son who I also applied a passport for but was denied. Reason being my citizenship on his passport is American and father is blank, so because the Philippines passes on citizenship by blood and not by soil the DFA said he isn't entitled to citizenship. Question - Is he entitled to citizenship? How? Does it matter that I had not renewed my American passport when he was born and was still using my Philippine passport?

Issue #3 - I tried getting my son a Certificate Report of Birth Abroad/American passport at the US embassy Manila but was denied because I lacked the requirement of having to have lived in the US for a continuous year before his birth, so now he can't get any passport. My Fiance and I tried applying for his to be Stateless and are waiting for an update. I provided a copy of his Birth Certificate to show my citizenship and the denial letter from the US embassy. Question - Would he be able to get a Stateless certificate/travel docs? How long is the process? Is there another better way to get him travel documents?

Random questions.
1. My boyfriend and I plan on getting married, he's filipino. If he adopts my son would he be able to transfer citizenship? If yes, would that be a faster and better process?
2. Can I have the NSO birth certificated amended to state my citizenship as BOTH American and filipino? If yes, would that be very expensive and take very long?

My goal is to bring him to the US because we want to move there for good. I can't apply for his US Immigrant Visa without a passport so that is keeping us from moving. He has an NSO birth certificate, I'm the single parent on that certificate and his biological father is out of the picture.

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum