Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Common law marriage

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Common law marriage on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 am

Jibega

Arresto Menor
Hello everyone!

I am here in behalf of a friend.
He is trying to apply for a US tourist visa and on the application, it is asking for his marital status. He is single but he has a live-in partner for 7 years now. They haven't gotten married yet because his mom has petitioned him to be a US immigrant, and he can't change his status unless they want his papers to be nulled.
Should he check the Common Law Marriage choice, or Single?
Does that make his girlfriend his Spouse on the application?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me find the answer ?

View user profile

2 Re: Common law marriage on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 pm

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua
i believe that children who are already married cannot be petitioned by their parents in the US.

imho, if he will declare that he has a common law spouse, this will be considered and petition may likely be denied.

View user profile

3 Re: Common law marriage on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Jibega

Arresto Menor
xtianjames wrote:i believe that children who are already married cannot be petitioned by their parents in the US.

imho, if he will declare that he has a common law spouse, this will be considered and petition may likely be denied.

That's our dilemma. My friend and his gf are not legally married, but they've been living together for 7 years now. Is that not what a Common Law Marriage is?

View user profile

4 Re: Common law marriage on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:28 pm

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua
yes it is.

View user profile

5 Re: Common law marriage on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Jadis

Reclusion Perpetua
There is no separate LEGAL recognition for a common-law marriage here in the Philippines. There are states in the USA that recognize sui juris marriages, but not in the Philippines. And even then, state laws require some sort of registration.

It is referred to only when live-in partners want to LEGALIZE their union, where they can do so without obtaining a marriage license under Philippine Law.

FOR ALL LEGAL INTENTS AND PURPOSES YOUR "FRIEND" IS SINGLE.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum