Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Any rights violated?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Any rights violated? on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 am

MakoAnxiety

Arresto Menor
I'm a PWD that suffers from social anxiety and panic attacks. Triggers talaga saking ang public places and I have a PWD ID to prove it.

Yesterday sa isang mall I was shopping for makeup when the panic attack hit kasi ang daming tao. Admittedly fault ko din yun for going out na alam ko na Holiday (so madaming tao).

Situation is, I have a habit of putting my purchases in my bag lalo na kung di ko na sila mahawakan (this mall does not provide shopping baskets). My anxiety kicked in and I COMPLETELY forgot about my items (out of sight out of mind?) na nasa bag ko. I felt like I was having an anxiety attack kaya I headed to go outside to calm down sana muna.

Wala pang 2 steps out the door a guard in plainclothes stopped me and showed me his ID. That's the moment I remembered that I had unpaid items in my bag and apologized profusely.

I cooperated naman and followed him to the security office where I explained my case. I even showed them my PWD ID as proof.

They made me write a statement and made me pay 3 TIMES THE AMOUNT of the items with me and I didn't even get to take them home with me.

All this time I didn't fuss and cooperated willingly. I didn't have money on hand (I was going to use my credit card). Wala din laman ATM ko so I was forced to call a friend who lived nearby to pay for the amount that they drew up.

I don't think that's fair. 3 times the amount tapos I don't get the items pa? I wasn't going to steal them and when I explained my PWD explanation they BLATANTLY ignored me.

I just feel that there's something wrong with the situation. Is there any complaint I can raise regarding this? As a PWD I feel like I was taken advantage off kasi I was still having my panic attack and they were intimidating me (the tone of the guy who handled my case was very cold and rough).

They said they weren't pushing charges naman. They didn't take pictures din and I just left the office empty handed and shaken. Can I complain of psychological damages?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

View user profile

2 Re: Any rights violated? on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Jadis

Reclusion Perpetua
It will be more trouble that it's worth.

There is no such thing as psychological damages. The law mandates that courts can award actual, moral, exemplary, and nominal damages and attorney's fees.

View user profile

3 Re: Any rights violated? on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 pm

MakoAnxiety

Arresto Menor
So, no sense in pursuing any sort of action towards the mall's security team po, basically?

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum