Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Before Getting Married

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Before Getting Married on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Arresto Menor
Hi. I'm 40 years old and my live-in partner and me are planning to get married next year. I am just wondering can I still change my last name to my dad's before I get married and assume my husband's lastname? You see, I'm "illegitimate". My mom used her maiden lastname on my birth certificate bec. she was not married to my dad and he was not around when I was born to sign the papers. (Not his choice). Is it too late to remedy the situation and have my dad sign a paternity paper? I was too worried asking my mom abt. It before bec. She might think I don't want to use her lastname anymore. But now that I'm about to get married and will be changing lastname anyways, I feel this urgency to have my rightful name first before I assume my husband's. Like I need to do this step first to complete me before I become someone's better half for real. Is this still doable at my age? My dad by the way is now a Canadian citizen. He migrated 20 years ago. But he said he declared me as his child at the embassy when he was settling his papers then. Thank you for whatever advice you can give me. Good day.

View user profile

2 Re: Before Getting Married on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Reclusion Perpetua
He will have to sign an affidavit acknowledging paternity and consent to use his surname. Personally, I think it's ungrateful and dishonest to go behind your mother's back to do this.

View user profile

3 Re: Before Getting Married on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Arresto Menor
Oh no I am not doing this without my mom's knowledge. No need to hide it from her.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum