Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEED HELP FOR CLARIFICATIONS before achieving this Goal: Church wedding in the Philippines

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Arresto Menor
Hi everyone!...I was given a task by my sister from NJ who wants to have a church wedding here but needs clarifications before doing so

Here are the details and other infos of her civil wedding:

Civil wedding (Philippines) - Sept 1995
Migrated to the US - Dec 1995
Obtained US Citizenship - May 2001
Obtained US Divorce - May 2002
Civil wedding (US) - Nov 2009 (husband also a US citizen)

1. I read at a law firm website that, if already a US citizen when divorce is obtained, an annulment is not required/necessary. Confirm if this is accurate. I fall in this category.

2. If #1 is accurate, what steps do I take to be able to have a church wedding in the Philippines. Would I need to get a marriage license in the Phils? Or is the wedding license i obtained in 2009 in the US sufficient as I am already a US citizen (and no longer governed by Philippine laws)?

3. If #1 is incorrect, what steps do i take to file for civil annulment?

Goal: Church wedding in the Philippines

Thanks everyone and I'll be looking forward for your replies! God bless!

View user profile

Prision Correccional
The divorce is valid here. But you may still need to file a petition with the court for the recognition of your divorce in order to get a marriage license, especially if your previous marriage is recorded with NSO.

View user profile

bikoy, when we say church, do we mean catholic church? some catholic churches will not allow a ceremony when one of the parties is divorced.

is your sister a dual citizen? did she report the divorce to Philippine embassy?

If they are already married in the USA, they should not acquire any further marriage license here. At most they can do is a renewal of vows, a ceremony that has no legal significance.

[i] Visit our FB Page: BPO Employee Legal Advice
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum