Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:38 am

melancholic

Arresto Menor
Hi, i had a relationship with a married man few years back and we had a daughter. we parted ways for years and through the genius fb site, we got reconnected. he's now in saudi arabia and a faithful Muslim.he already left his wife here.

the thing is he's asking me to marry him there. and madly as it seems, i still love him and im willing to give us another chance with our daughter.

my question is,are we still liable of bigamy if we got married in another country? (saudi arabia)

hoping for your advice. thanks!

View user profile

2 Re: ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:13 am

attyLLL

in my opinion, you will not be liable for bigamy because he is a muslim, but you will have to ensure that all requirements for an islamic marriage are complied with.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

3 Re: ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:24 pm

lOst_StuDent

Prision Correccional
@melancholic, although you may not be liable to bigamy, just make sure you know what you're getting into. if you say that he's now a faithful muslim, he may not be the same person as he was before. be sure you are ready to accept his religion and what it stands for. at any point, he may bring in a second, third and fourth wife. be sure you are ready for this. he may also prohibit and demand c.ertain things from you like convert to islam and behave in certain way, like wear burqa and hijab to cover your whole person, isolate yourself from friends and stay home. wahabi islam, which is what saudi practices, is the most backward, oppressive and barbaric kind of islam. it really depends on how serious he is with islam. this is just an unsolicited advice from a concern stranger. wish you the best in whatever you decide.

View user profile

4 Re: ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm

melancholic

Arresto Menor
@attyLLL: he converted to islam after his marriage with his first wife. that's why im quite confused because some people are telling me that the islamic law doesn't cover his first marriage so we'll still be liable of bigamy...that's why actually he wants to get married in another country.would that really help? thanks.

@lost student: thanks for those sound advice. he's really a changed man now, well compared with what he was before. he used to be a "no-god-guy."

about him getting another wife, i just hope it wont happen of course,but if ever, i don't think i can handle a three-way relationship, that's why i left him before in the first place, and for it to happen again will be just stupid.

View user profile

5 Re: ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:38 pm

melancholic

Arresto Menor
i have another issue to raise sir, re the birth certificate of my daughter. the father signed the certificate and acknowledged the child but in the document he declared that he's single. would that affect the legalities/ validity of my daughter's birth certificate? (she's carrying her father's surname)

thank you so much.

View user profile

6 Re: ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:20 pm

attyLLL

i am not an expert in sharia law, so i'm really not sure how it applies. though I believe he is not prevented from marrying again even if he converted after the first marriage.

declaring himself single will not affect the birth certificate. it may affect though his her legitimation if you marry the father because he was not capacitated to marry. again i'm not sure how this will apply under sharia law.

think over being included in a polygamous relationship. note that he can get married up to 4 wives.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

7 Re: ANOTHER MARRIED MAN ISSUE on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:05 pm

lOst_StuDent

Prision Correccional
I am not an expert in Shariah law myself, but we study Shariah law here in law school. The Shariah law is very unfavorable to women. Your husband can divorce you as fast as he can declare it. Also, you will be at a disadvantage when it comes to custody and conjugal relations. Studying Islamic law, one will wonder how our government allowed this law in the Philippines.

If you marry him, there's no danger of bigamy. I have seen some people convert to Islam to be able to marry again.

About the polygamy thing, if you decide to marry him you will have to convert. Soon you will be indoctrinated to the religion. Later on, you will learn to accept its teachings. Your principles and what you believe in will be compromised. I have seen too many stories like yours. Two things may happen if you convert to Islam. One, you embrace Islam and accept everything. Or you will be repulsed by it. The second thing happened to me.

Please visit this site faithfreedom.org, and read the forums of ex-muslim and those previously married to muslims. I am not affiliated with this site, but i think you will gain much knowledge from this site.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum