Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

please help...

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 please help... on Tue May 31, 2011 2:01 am

dearlab629

Arresto Menor
I am 45 years old, the youngest of four in the family. My parents were married in the catholic church. Even as a small child I could see domestic violence inside my own family. It did not surprise me that few years after I was given for adoption at the age of 9, my mother left after repeated beatings and other forms of physical and verbal abuse in the hands of my father . I discovered my mother took another partner and had 2 daughters who perished from typhoon Sisang in 1989. My father took another partner and had 3 children. Now in their old age, my father started to divide the land properties among all the kids but me. I did not complain since i am now inside the monastery. My question is - does he have the right to divide the land to all the children including my half- siblings without the consent of my mother? He is not legally married to the second wife and my mother is still alive. I understand that the land property is a conjugal thing since they were married in the late 50s. I just don't want my father's actions become a problem to all my siblings when he is gone. Please advise as to the rights of my half-siblings and whether my father was right in what he did. Thanks and God bless!

View user profile

2 Re: please help... on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:09 pm

attyLLL

when you say divide, do you mean that he is filing a deed of partition and there will be new titles issued? or he is just talking about it? or actual surveys have been made?

no, he should not be able to subdivide the property without your mother's consent.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

3 Re: please help... on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:34 pm

dearlab629

Arresto Menor
AttyLLL, Thank you so much for your reply. That was what I thought, too. But since I have no background in law, I am not very sure about it. The last time I went home in 2008, my father took me for a walk and showed me which one belongs to whom and from where up to which point. I am not sure if deed of partition is being planned to be filed or new titles will be issued. I am not sure at this point if surveys have been made since I am here in the US. I'll be home in the next few days since my father is in critical condition, and this is what I want to explain to all my siblings to avoid further confusion. One more thing, can you please enlighten me what rights belong to my half-siblings in terms of inheritance? WE are 4 kids in the first marriage (civil and church) and there were 3 kids in the second partner of my father (live-in until now). Thanks a lot and Best regards!

View user profile

4 Re: please help... on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:45 pm

attyLLL

your father and his partner are not married? were you legally adopted or just raised by someone else?

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

5 Re: please help... on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:40 pm

dearlab629

Arresto Menor
Hello, AttyLLL! You are correct, - my father and his present partner are not legally married (civil or church). I don't know how my half-siblings managed to enroll for their studies since two of them finished college, too. NO, I was not legally adopted (by a priest), I was just raised by him and he supported me in my studies until I finished my HS. I managed to finish my college course as a working student since my father refused to help me saying he has now other kids to help and I can manage to stand on my own. I am the only child from the first wife of my father who was able to finish college - the first four were HS graduate and are now all married with kids. Thanks for a follow-up reply and clarification.

View user profile

6 Re: please help... on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:43 pm

dearlab629

Arresto Menor
Sorry...I should say, the first three kids (not four) because I am the fourth...thanks.

View user profile

7 Re: please help... on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:52 pm

attyLLL

Technically, it is your mother, as his wife, who has property rights. She has to assert them.

View user profile

8 Re: please help... Today at 11:32 pm

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum