Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Libel or Not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Libel or Not? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:50 am

Isabelle Christiane

Arresto Menor
Dear Sirs,

Good day.

I want to ask for your advice concerning my current situation and experience. I am an ofw and I meet a guy here, eventually we became good friends. Just a plain friendship since from the start I know he is a family man. Problem arise when people around us spread some rumors that we have an illicit affair. They even spreading wrong information about me. In the early stage I just ignore it since I'm not affected about what they think about me. I just recently found out that they send wrong information to his wife, exaggerating some details. And now I receive some harsh words from her judging me without really knowing me (I expect it since I thought it's her initial reaction towards the issue). But my concern is that I receive a threat involving my family.
I don't care if the whole town here talks about me, I know myself better than them.
But I'm a bit worried about her threat concerning my family.

Can I sue them for they are doing to me? I have proofs about their bad acts towards me. Messages sent over the mobile was saved as well as chat conversation. The information they spread are just hear say and a gossip..

I do hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you and have a good day.

Sincerely,
Isabelle Christiane

View user profile

2 Re: Libel or Not? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:13 pm

attyLLL

it's going to be difficult for a criminal case to prosper here in the philippines because our criminal laws apply only inside philippine territory. you can inquire about legal action in the place where you are.

you can still counter her acts by you or a lawyer sending a reply to her threats.

you can file a complaint for monetary damages here if you can prove your allegations.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

3 Re: Libel or Not? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Isabelle Christiane

Arresto Menor
AttyLLL,

Just want to ask if I can seek for a legal advice in our country? Because the one who gives threat is currently residing in manila. Or do I need to go home in able to process my complaint? If so, is it possible to file it on a later date? What I mean is during my vacation, which is due at the end of the year.

Thank you also for your response. I will check their criminal laws here in able to proceed with my complaint.

Sincerely,
Isabelle

View user profile

4 Re: Libel or Not? on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:14 pm

attyLLL

it will always be better if you are here to file your complaint, but it can be initiated even from there by swearing to the complaint affidavit before the philippine consulate.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

5 Re: Libel or Not? Today at 3:58 am

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum