Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Name in NSO Birth Cert & Mother's Last Name is my Surname

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Arresto Menor
Hi! I hope you can help me, I recently found out that my birth certificate file in NSO is as follows:

1. No First Name
2. Surname is my Mom's last name.

I think this happened because my parents were ignorant on what to do after my mom giving birth to a hospital in manila, they thought my certificate will not be processed but unfortunately that one was forwarded to NSO. Since going to school in the province I have been using the birth certificate issued to me in the province...and of course all my documents reflect that.

Question is what do I do with the certificate issued by NSO? how long will the processing take because I badly need to have a passport...does DFA give exemptions if there are rare cases such as a temporary solution perhaps so I can still have my passport eventhough my change of name in the NSO certificate in still being processed? Thank you. I remembered beauty queen Venus Raj had problems also but still she was issued a passport. I'm no beauty queen but I'm also a legal citizen of this country. Thank you.

By the way, my parents were married right when I was around 9 years old, so maybe that's why I was not able to carry his last name when I was born. But ever since Im using my dad's last name particularly at school, work & all documents...sss, TIN, etc. Please help!

Last edited by guencamille on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

View user profile


you have to go to the Manila civil registrar and process your legitimation by giving a copy of your parents' marriage contract. this will correct your last name.

as for your first name, that will require a court petition to correct it.

there's no harm in trying to get a passport. there are cases they allowed it with the condition they won't renew if you don't correct it.

[i] Visit our FB Page: FOR MORE LEGAL ADVICE  
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum