Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:54 am

kym325clanz

Arresto Menor
hi. i need a legal advice about my daughter's surname.
she is now six years old, and in grade one.
she has been using her father's surname since birth.

me and her father are not married.
we dont have any communication with him since after her 1st birthday.

now, i want to change my daughter's surname to my maiden surname, is it posible? how?

thanks in advance.

View user profile

2 Re: CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 pm

attyLLL

the proper way is adoption.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

3 Re: CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Diane I

Arresto Menor
Hi kym325clanz,

I can only assume your daughter is able to use her father's surname despite her being illegitimate (since there was no valid marriage between you and her father) because the father acknowledged her as his child.

The option you have is to change your daughter's surname through a PETITION FOR CHANGE OF SURNAME which is a court or judicial action; I don't think adoption is the apt way to go.

Kind regards,
Diane I

View user profile

4 Re: CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:52 pm

attyLLL

I respectfully don't agree, but that is just this attorney's opinion. and I'm very sure the OSG will oppose any petition for change of name under these circumstances.

Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

5 Re: CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Diane I

Arresto Menor
For one, RA 8552 (Domestic Adoption Law) enumerates in Section 5 those who may be adopted and clearly, kym325clanz's daughter is not labouring under any of those; apparently, that adoption in this case is the apt solution will not hold water.

I have yet to come across a law prohibiting a child who is illegitimate from using his mother's surname.

View user profile

6 Re: CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:02 pm

attyLLL

Again, I respectfully disagree. I read Section 8 and I see a very good ground for this situation where an illegitimate child can be adopted by his parent to raise him to the status of legitimacy.

I agree that a Petition for Change of Name is a possible remedy, but there is no guarantee, particularly when the Supreme Court has not been consistent with its rulings. And again, the OSG has been more vigilant against changes of name.

View user profile

7 Re: CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Yna

Arresto Menor
Hi kym,

We have same case.. I want my son to use my maiden name too. Have you come up with a solution? If so, please share...
Thanks..

View user profile

8 Re: CHANGING MY DAUGHTER'S SURNAME on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 am

Aero13

Arresto Menor
also interested in this case. please update us on what we need to do.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum