Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

help on RA 9048 Correction of clerical or typographical errors

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Arresto Menor
Good day.

I would like to seek your assistance regarding my problem on the spelling of my second name on my birth certificate.
Since my childhood days I have been using the name and has been referred to as Andrew Mari. This is because a copy of my original Birth Certificate issued to my mom indicates so.

All my school records and other public documents (drivers license, ECE certification and PRC ID) bear that name.
In 1999 I applied for a passport which required me to get an NSO copy of my birth certificate and to my surprise it was bearing the name Andrew Maria, with an A after I. During that time changing of name or correction of spelling needed to go through a long legal process. To my delight I was asked to prepare an affidavit that Andrew Mari and Andrew Maria are one and the same person and I attached that affidavit with my application. I got the passport which got continuously renewed with the name Andrew Mari.

I am now in the process of applying for CENOMAR and then a Marriage License. I was informed that I can not use the name Andrew Mari and was advised that I needed to go for the Correction of clerical or typographical errors under RA9048.

I prepared the necessary documents and asked my father to file on my behalf in Quezon City's LCR . My Dad was asked to file a change in name and pay a bigger fee for something I did not need so he hesitated and went into an argument with the LCR employee. His argument with the Quezon City hall employee ended with the employee telling my father that the LCR filed the wrong certificate to NSO and claimed that my dad should take matters with NSO's legal department.

After hours of queuing and discussions my father disappointedly went home without getting anything accomplished.

I hope you could advise me on the next steps to take. I'm planning a civil wedding at the end of this month and I am hoping that I get the legal documentation that Andrew Mari and not Andrew Maria is the person getting married.

View user profile


Arresto Menor
good evening po mam.sir, itatanong ko lang po kung ano ang dapat kong gawin sa birth certificate namin ng kapatid ko, kasi po, kapag nagrerequest kami ng birth certificate magkatulad po ang ini-issue sa amin ng nso, di po kami kambal, nov.10,1982 po ang birthday ko at sa kuya ko naman ay sept.9,1979, yung ibnibigay po sa amin ng nso ay september 9, 1982, ano po ang dapat naming gawin? maraming salamat po... Godbless

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum