Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Log in

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Changing the last name of a legitimate son...

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Changing the last name of a legitimate son... on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 pm


Arresto Menor
Good day sir,

I am asking for a legal advise in order for me to change my legitimate son's last name to mine. I am currently in Canada as a citizen and my son is in the Philippines; his last name is under his mother and I left the country not signing his birth certificate. I am married now and the mother has her own family too. I want my son to come to Canada and to expedite things, I think changing his last name will make it less complicated; his mother is willing to change his last name so it will not be a problem.

I was told to get a notarized letter and send it back home and my family will be the one to get the name change done for me. My questions are:

1. Is it true that I can notarized a letter confirming that he is my son and they can change that back home?
2. Do I need a lawyer for notarizing the letter?
3. What are the steps for me to do in order for my son to come to Canada?

I greatly appreciate all your advise and thank you in advance.

View user profile


i cannot advise you on what are the requirements of the canadian government.

you probably mean that the child is illegitimate. what you should execute is an Affidavit of Paternity and Authority to Use Surname of the Father.

you should execute it at the philippine embassy or consulate. I believe they have forms there. if not, look up the Local Civil Registrar where your son was registered on the net, and they may have an online copy.

[i] Visit our FB Page: FOR MORE LEGAL ADVICE  
Warning and Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer; and you are not my client. With the limitations of an  Internet forum, a thorough review of your concern is not possible. View my comments at YOUR OWN RISK. It is best to actually retain a lawyer for your individual concerns.
View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum